Saturday, September 6, 2008

Recording with David

My sister ask me if I could record a song for a video that is being made to honor her boss. They wanted a song to be recorded in order to avoid copy rights of someone else's song.  So my sister Vicky has been bugging me on when I was going to record the song. Finally, this last Wednesday I went to Vicky and David house to record the song. I was going to be recording David's vocals, and guitars. The song they chose was: The Road and The Radio by Kenny Chesney. Of course we changed the song to make it different.  As I was walking into the house, I hear a guitar string popped. Of course David was mad because he had to go to guitar center to buy new strings. When David got back, I begin to setup while David restrings his guitar. So I was trying to figure out where to record vocals, because you usually record in a room with dead sound.  I thought maybe we could try his bathroom. See the cables running to the bathroom in the picture below.Now, I have all my equipment ready for recording. We first needed to record the guitar so David has something to sing along with. You always record your instruments first before you do vocals. Before I continue, let me tell you what I used for the session. I ran Pro Tools LE 7.4 off my MacBook pro, had a 2 channel Mbox as my audio interface, and Shure KSM27 for my vocals. Thats enough technical jargon.  So we finished with the Guitars, and now for vocals. Now, I needed to check how the vocals sounded in the Bathroom. It did not sound to good, so David had an idea to put a comforter over is head to absorb the sound.  It actually sounded much better, i figure I could EQ his vocals when I edit the track. After a few takes and punch ins, we got the track finished. Poor David, he was sweating under that comforter. 
          Overall, it was a fun night. Now I need to finish editing and give the song to my sister.

1 comment:

Dave and Vicky said...

TOO Funny!!
Thank you Dan. You are the best!!!